Torque is defined as:
The measure of the force applied to produce rotational motion
(usually measured in foot-pounds). Torque is determined by multiplying
the applied force by the distance from the pivot point to the point
where the force is applied.
- In the English system, torque is measured in “foot-pounds” or “inch-pounds”.
- In the Metric system, torque is measured in “Newton-meters”.
- 8.851 inch-pounds = 1 Newton-meter
- 1 foot-pound = 12 inch-pounds
- 16 ounce-inches = 1 inch-pound
- 1 Newton = 1 kilogram-meter per second squared
- Torque = Force x Moment Arm